Even in the little things...

Today has been a super long week. Super long as in up at six every morning and coming home around seven o'clock on average. I LOVE driving to my school each morning, being there, teaching my students and talking with my colleagues. I also like decompressing and thinking on the drive home, because my commute is around 30 minutes each way. 

The week has been long because there's just been a ton going on and I've been up late grading and planning and I feel like every minute is just running around staying on top of things. You can prepare *so* much for your classroom experiences, but unknown things pop up on an hourly basis. A kid feels sick and misses their test. An absent student from the previous day wants their homework but isn't ready for the test. Another student has to leave during the middle of the test for a dentist appointment. Parents email you to check in about their kids. Kids need to come in at lunch to finish their testing. And before you know it, your entire day is gone, it's 6:00 and you're still sitting in your classroom grading papers to stay on top of things. I seriously LOVE my job and wouldn't trade any of these things, but the week can get a bit hectic sometimes. That's why I so look forward to Friday night happy hour with my husband. We always go out, without fail, and it's our reconnection time to just hang out, talk, catch up, and be husband and wife instead of two ships passing in the night. 

I knew tonight I was going to be a little late, but as I drove home I silently looked forward to where our spot was going to be tonight and to get to tell him all of the awesome things that have happened this week. 

Well, that all changed as soon as I got in the door. I came home to a sick husband who picked up a stomach bug from one of his students, who was virtually incapacitated and crawled his way, feverishly, into our bed at 6:30pm. We were not going to be going out to happy hour tonight. 

Not only that, but we typically procrastinate our chores for the weekend since we're so busy during the week. So as I opened the door, there lay my husband, a pile of dirty dishes, unfolded laundry, clutter and scraps of paper and unopened mail around the house just waiting for me. 

To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. 
I was so tired already and bummed that T was sick and that we weren't going out, but I quickly realized that my other half wouldn't be able to help clean around the house either. So, after a long week at school, I put my husband to bed, cooked him chicken noodle soup, rolled up my shirt sleeves and got to work cleaning our entire house. No happy hour. No catch-up conversations. No Blue Moon and Helvetia burgers. Just me, a sick husband and a messy house. 

As I sulked around cleaning, I was reminded of the lyrics to a new song by Steven Curtis Chapman which, albeit slightly cheesy, is totally truthful as we get caught up in our everyday lives. It's called "Do Everything," and is encouragement to people who feel like the daily grind they're involved in has no purpose. Here is an excerpt from it below:
You’re picking up toys on the living room floor
for the 15th time today
Matching up socks and sweeping up lost
Cheerios that got away
You put a baby on your hip and color on your lips
and head out the door
And while I may not know you I bet I know you wonder sometimes does it matter at all...
Well let me remind you it all matters just as long as you


Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace...
With every move that you make, nd every little thing you do


Well maybe you’re sitting in math class
Maybe on a mission in the Congo
Maybe you’re working at the office
Singing along with the radio
Maybe you’re dining at a five star
Or feeding orphans in Myanmar
Anywhere and everywhere you are...


Whatever you do it all matters
So do what you do and don’t ever forget to do everything you to to the glory of the One who made you...



--------------

 So I'm done sulking. In sickness and in health; hopefully next Friday we can have burgers and Blue Moon at Helvetia Tavern. For now, my husband needs me and I just need to get over myself. :)
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 
Blogging tips