Five Things Friday... revived!

Hasn't today been amazing?

I actually drove with my sunroof open and sunglasses on. Fabulous!

Us Oregonians relish in this weather because everyone this side of the Cascades know that we don't get enough of it. I love how when the sun comes out, regardless of the temperature, so do shorts and flip flops in February (guilty).

I wanted to focus this Five Things Friday on one of my favorite splurges: day spas. 

Now, don't get all judgy on me and say "how can you afford day spas? didn't you just buy a house and book a vacation and _________ (fill-in-the-blank)" yes. yes and yes.

I've spent the better part of my twenties going to day spas because it's like my preventative medicine. I rarely ever get sick (not that I'm attributing that to getting a massage frequently....but... maybe?), and whenever I feel a big case of the worries or anxiety coming on, I'll book an appointment at one of my favorite places to relax. 

Here's the thing. 

I do my shopping and am not loyal to any particular spa in general. I will go where the deals are because that's how I can afford to indulge in my quarterly massage habit. My favorite way to find new places are Groupon deals, which is where I discovered my latest spa gem in the Hollywood District of Portland: Spa Willamina. More on them, later. 

I also sign up as email subscribers with various Aveda spas so that I can get emailed their coupons and discounts, ANNNNNND, another great way to save some $$$$ on pricey spa appointments is to "like" any of the metro-area spas (or ones that you have already visited as a client), and they will often post specials and deals to Facebook & Twitter followers only. 

I also ask for gift certificates to my favorite places for Christmas, and they will usually throw in a discount if you ask for it as well (i.e., buy two get the third one free; 20% off your next spa appointment if you book today...) etc. 

Point being: I hardly ever pay full price for massages, and I have found some GREAT venues through my bargain hunting. 

_____________________________________

in no particular order, my top-five day spa favorites (so far):


-- This is located in Tanasbourne near the Streets of Tanasbourne and Whole Foods and they are AWESOME. It's like a quiet little retreat in the midst of Hillsboro that I wasn't expecting. They also have great "rewards" bonuses for repeat gusts and frequently offer 25% discount cards when you book your next appointment. They always do a foot soak and "aromatherapy journey" (what they call it) before every appointment, so it just sets up the relaxation. They are definitely one of my west side favs.


So this was a Groupon package that I booked last summer and decided to redeem recently. They are located right off Sandy in the Hollywood District and are actually in a cute little renovated bungalow with all of the same vintage details-- huge fireplace, crown molding, hardwood floors, etc. But get this. They asked me when booking my appointment if I wanted to be in the "garden tent," and I said... "okay?...."-- they informed me that it was a cozy backyard experience with heated floors and flannel sheets, "perfect for the outdoors enthusiast." I've never had a massage in a Portland backyard tent before, so I decided to give it a shot. Oh. My. Goodness. It was awesome! I felt like I was camping in a luxury tent! It was SO cozy, and I loved being able to hear the rain falling above me but not feel cold in the slightest. I could even breathe in fresh air and smell the flowers in the garden-- I loved it! If you get the opportunity to visit Spa Willamina, definitely ask for the garden tent-- it's no extra charge and totally worth it!

These guys are also great for offering VIP discounts for repeat customers-- I just got 20% off my next booking PLUS a gift card for a buy-one-get-one free session. Great deal!


I love how small this location is and it's just off of Grand avenue by Lloyd Center. Both times I've been there I've had the entire loft to myself, and it's just so cozy. I bought a Groupon package with them over a year ago and saw that they offered one again recently for hair treatments. Definitely check them out if you live in NE or see them again on Groupon! 

This is the ultimate girl's day retreat. I can't say that I've ever been back because of price's sake to Gigi, but it was on a day when my friends and I went shopping, out to lunch at Cheesecake Factory, and then indulged in mani/pedis together all at Washington Square. It was definitely more expensive than other spas I've been to, BUT, it was so much fun and such a great location for a girls'-day-splurge. 


I love that Dosha spas offer complimentary steam room and shower w/Aveda products after appointments because that means you can get a massage or a facial and not have to worry about going out later that day with greasy hair or a red face. Plus it's like an extra hour of spa time! All Dosha locations offer this feature, but Dosha on SW 5th avenue is my favorite just because it's so quiet. I used to go to Dosha on 23rd street pretty often but it just got too noisy and busy for a calming experience. Dosha also offers VIP passes for 10% off for the entire year if you join their email club and attend one of their VIP holiday parties that they offer throughout the month of December. It's not a huge discount, but definitely helps! They also offer email-only specials and Facebook fan specials for $30 massage and facials and other great deals that help bring the price down. They are definitely the best bang for you buck if you're able to snag one of their email deals. 

---------------------------

Anyway, if you're interested in spa-ing, or wanting the day spa experience without the day spa price, definitely check out these places!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 
Blogging tips