Why I'm working 4 jobs

Kiiiiiiind of crazy, not gonna lie. But ridiculously awesome and empowering. 

For the first time in pretty much ever, I'm not entirely sure how to answer the question of, "What do you do for a living?" or, "Where do you work?"

Because everything I do, I love. I am what I do. I'm choosing to work where I do, not because I need to, but because I want to. Why wouldn't I want to work from home, turn my hobbies into viable employment and meet new people every single day? Why wouldn't I want to enrich my life with the true meaning of, "When you do what you love, you won't work a day in your life." (Or something like that.)

We are people who move through open doors. We are also people who enjoy working VERY hard, and enjoy playing VERY hard. That may or may not change when we have kids, but we do know for sure that we want to be a solid two parent home, and that it's important that I am present during the day with my children as they are growing up. Different circumstances work for different people, but God has created me with a drive and a fulfillment through productivity and creativity. I have no doubt that I am going to relish and love being a stay at home mom someday, but I am also going to relish and love my job as a photographer. Or stylist. Or writer. Or teacher. Because I love being able to accomplish things, and we want to raise our children to appreciate hard work and the rewards that come from it. 

Some people are driven to grow, excel, achieve, promote, etc.; others are content with simple lifestyles and slow paces. I think I fall somewhere in between, because while I don't want my life to zip by me as I work, I also deliciously savor the moments when everything halts and I can sit on my couch and read a book. Or better yet, lay on a cruise for seven days soaking up the sun and forgetting what day it is. Those things are not appropriate as full-time lifestyles, but they sure are nice when a much-earned break presents itself. 

I have no judgment for anyone who chooses a different life path, just as I expect no judgment for mine. I'm extremely happy, thankful and blessed that God keeps blessing us with open doors and opportunities, and we just keep moving forward in faith. I am passionate beyond measure for my photography business and the work involved. I am overjoyed when I get to hang out with women on Friday nights laughing, having wine and styling them in jewelry. I love the moments where my writing creativity emerges through the freelance work that I do. I take pleasure in stepping into a classroom as I substitute and interact with students. And I enjoy planning travel & vacations to Disney for people who need guidance (more on that in a later post). 

Am I overextending myself? Absolutely not. A balanced life takes intentional work, but I am so fortunate that these opportunities have presented themselves and that I get to take pride in productivity and rewards from rolling my sleeves up and putting in some elbow grease (not to mention so much heart, soul and sacrifice) to be where I am. 

So when I am asked, "What do you do?" or "Where do you work?"

I get to say:

**I'm a photographer with Megan Love Photography and I own my own business
**I'm a stylist with Stella & Dot, and I own my own business
**I'm a freelance writer & service evaluator
**I'm a substitute teacher for the best middle school in Oregon (no bias there...)

This is not a brag post by any means. If it sounds like it, I apologize. This is an encouragement to realize you CAN do what you love, what you're talented at and accomplish what your goals are with some focus, determination, support and sacrifice. One thing about Stella & Dot is that I'm empowered and inspired by how many women are moms who stay at home and are intentional with the time they spend with their kids and families. They get to earn vacations and pay for private school and buy new school clothes and indulge in things that they normally wouldn't be able to, all because of Stella's generous compensation and flexible scheduling. I LOVE working for Stella for so many reasons which I won't go into in this post. 

And I wouldn't be where I am today without the blessings of God, the love and support of my husband, and the never failing cheerleading and referrals from my friends. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for setting me on the path to fulfill a dream I never thought would be possible. 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 
Blogging tips