It's resolution time

I like a good goal, but if you're anything like me in the past 29 years, you give up halfway and don't stick to your goals. Excuses. Justification. You name it, I've done it. From buying gym memberships to pinning paleo Pinterest meals, my January 31sts typically seem as though my New Year's Resolutions never happened. 

I took a cold, hard look at myself this winter break {in the education world, winter break is a really fabulous invention if you ask me} and really figured out why I give up on so many great resolutions I've started in the past. Get healthy? Eat better? Spend less? These are all great goals and things I should be incorporating into my life anyway, so why give up so easy, Megan? Because I'll tell you why: I'm lazy and I'm selfish. 

However, this birthday snuck up on me like a giraffe at the zoo, and I'm telling you what, it freaked the heck out of me. I turned 29 this year and in exactly 10 months I'll be turning 30. In 10 months!! When I was fifteen, thirty looked like this: House, job, college debt paid off, two kids, mini-van or SUV, dog, full bank accounts and retirement savings. Without going into too much detail, there are exactly three things on this list that I do not currently have and that worries me a bit. Thirty to me looked like put-together grown ups with the rest of their lives ahead of them. Thirty now looks like "Holy cow I am so not ready for this."  

This is not meant to be a doom and gloom post, but it's the fact that my selfish-and-lazy-ways are out the door because there is life to be lived and things to do and people to see and places to go and kids to have in this next phase, and skipping over doing the things I know I'm supposed to be doing isn't making me any younger. 

So in order to live this last year of my 20s to its fullest in every way possible, I'm going big in 2014. Real big. So big that I'm afraid I'm going to write at the end of the year that I couldn't do it and that my excuses got the best of me. But I'm really, really, really going to try my hardest and it's going to mean saying yes to some things I don't want to do, and saying no to some things that I really want to do. 

I'm sharing my resolutions with you for accountability, for public consumption, and pretty much for the fact that if it's in writing and if I'm saying it out loud, I'm more likely to stick to it because I don't want egg on my face later on...



So for 2014, my resolutions are as follows:

1) Plan out my meals on Saturdays, shop on Sundays and be prepared with cooked meals Monday - Friday. Of said meals, ALL ingredients need to be free of artificial ingredients. No compromises, for reals. My grocery bill may be higher, but my insides will be happier. 

2) Go to the gym after school three days a week. Get 5 minutes of cardio in every day (walk, jumping jacks, jog around the block). I really, really, really need to get moving. 
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.


annnnnnd the biggest resolution of all time. The one I'm freaked out about but want so bad. The one that I want to write about on December 31st and have it be true and be able to share how much money we saved in 2014...{!!!}

3) Not use a single credit card for 2014. Not once. Not for perks, not a store card, not for discounts, nothing. Zip. Nada. No bueno. Credit cards are very sneaky little tools that make you think you're getting a lot, but instead are life suckers when they send their bills and after 10 years of owning them, I'd rather just pay cash for everything now, thankyouverymuch. 

Can I do it? Can I not slap down my credit card for false security and then go home and pay the bill later? Because seriously. I hate paying bills, and credit card bills are one more bill to pay and that definitely does not feng shui my personal life. Not one bit. 
.
.
.

Here's hoping that year 29 for Megan Love consists of healthy habits, better eating and no credit cards. Wish me luck.  


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 
Blogging tips