Reblog: 37 things that you'll regret when you're old



I love this. 


There was a time in my life when I was afraid of everything. I had a deep-rooted insecurity that at the core of it was a fear of the big things like disappointing people, not being good enough for people. From that insecurity came a whole slough of other issues like always settling for sub-par and second best because I didn't think I deserved better, and worrying over every facet of my life: finances, illness, family, you name it. It took a major life tragedy to throw my life back into synch and remind me that fear has no place in the life God has promised for us. 

My life's verse was always Galatians 1:10, "For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men then I would not be a follower of Christ." 

That's why I love this list so much. Some of it I'm still working through; some of it I'm proud of. Take this list for what it is, but if you are like me ten years ago, I would have a lot of regrets because of letting fears, worries and insecurities take precedence in my life. 


1. Not traveling when you had the chance.
So many people comment on how much T and I travel. Travel is this luxury that we would gladly give up nice cars, a large house, and high-end possessions for because it inspires us more than I can express. I can't tell you how many people say, "Travel while you can because when you have kids, it all changes." I have no doubts in the slightest that the type of travel we do when we have kids will change, but we absolutely will bring our kids on adventures and explorations. I'm gonna keep traveling, that's for sure. 
2. Not learning another language.
Thirteen years ago I took German because I wanted to be different, and now I regret not taking Spanish. It's really hard to learn a new language, but I so wish I spoke one fluently. I admire those people who stayed committed to learning another language, because all I can really do is read a few different languages, but can't speak a lick of anything. 
3. Staying in a bad relationship.
While I've been in relationships that didn't end up working out, I feel pretty grateful that I didn't spend a lengthy amount of time in any I would consider "bad." However, I totally agree with the original blogger on this one because as she says, "No one leaves a bad relationship without wishing they had gotten out sooner."
4. Forgoing sunscreen.
Gone are the days of wanting to bake in the sun and intentionally skipping the sunscreen because I wanted a nice bronze. There are some scary rays out there and I've seen a lot of people affected by their powerfully negative effects. 
5. Missing the chance to see your favorite musicians.
I have seen every band I LOVE several times. Those shows were some of the best music memories I have, and I fully intend to keep it up. There is nothing like live music!
6. Being scared to do things.
I'm still scared to do things and I want to stop. In fact, I am so scared of flying that I haven't been to Asia yet because of the rough Pacific ocean turbulence and the long flights to Indonesia, Thailand, Japan and Australia. My fear of flying is so deep I literally have anxiety attacks on every flight I've been on in the last year. I refuse to be so afraid to fly that I don't travel, but I would be lying is I said I only go so far around the world based on my fear of flying. This is one goal I have to get rid of quickly. 
7. Failing to make physical fitness a priority.
My New Year's Resolution was to get moving 5 minutes a day and visit the gym three days a week. It's January 10th and I have not been to the gym once in 2014. The only moving I've done is walking to the mailbox and taking the long way to the office at school. It's safe to say I've failed at this one with my laziness and I want to turn this one around right away because I fully agree. Some of the best health and confidence I've had was when fitness was a regular part of my life. 
8. Letting yourself be defined by gender roles.
I'm not entirely sure how important this one is to me, but I know that for me as I love being a wife and a woman in general, I love to work. I know I will love being a mom, but I love to work and be productive and I fully intend to work for as long as I can while still being present for my family. 
9. Not quitting a terrible job.
Heck yes. I've fortunately only had a couple of terrible jobs, but I feel thankful that I had enough sense to get out while I could. 
10. Not trying harder in school.
Unfortunately my freshman year in college was a complete waste because I was overwhelmed in every aspect of my life, I did not have a mentor and I really didn't have any close friends in college. I nearly drowned there and even quit for a semester. However, even though it was really difficult to get caught back up, I did, and graduated Cum Laude (going from a 2.2 to a 3.6 was a big deal to me then!) only graduating one semester later. If I could take that year in college back and do it all over again, I absolutely would and would have reached out for help and gotten connected MUCH sooner. 
11. Not realizing how beautiful you were.
Sigh. If only. I think many mistakes and decisions I made would have been much, much different if I saw this sooner. 
12. Being afraid to say “I love you.”
When you’re old, you won’t care if your love wasn’t returned — only that you made it known how you felt.
13. Not listening to your parents’ advice.
I'm sorry mom and dad. I can only hope my own kids listen more than I did because you were right. 
14. Spending your youth self-absorbed.
My youth was spent being self-absorbed with insecurities. I wasted a lot of time doing this. 
15. Caring too much about what other people think.
See above. 
16. Supporting others’ dreams over your own.
It took my dad awhile to get on board with my dream as a teacher. So much so that I changed my major in college to marketing just to give it a try so he would be proud of me. Needless to say I did not shine in marketing, and had to move forward with my own dreams after college, with our without my dad's support {thankfully, with}. 
17. Not moving on fast enough.
I remember when my mom died, I was tempted to let time freeze. I wanted to lay in bed and cry and cry and never come out again. I realized however, that no matter how depressed, angry, upset, or sad I was, it was never going to make her and Chase come back. Instead, I wanted to live out my life the absolute best that I could-- and really live it
18. Holding grudges, especially with those you love.
Wasted time. 
19. Not standing up for yourself.
There is a fine line between having decorum and letting things go, and being walked all over and not speaking up for yourself. I used to be too shy to say anything if I needed help, wanted to stop being bullied or telling people who were speaking bad about me to stop. I saw my mom be badly wounded emotionally by not standing up for herself, and after she died, I vowed to never let myself get like that. 
20. Not volunteering enough.
I see so many selfless people giving their time and efforts through volunteering and I admire it so much. It's something I want to continually have a part of my life and improve upon in the upcoming years. 
21. Neglecting your teeth.
There is nothing worse at the dentist than them telling you that you need fillings for your cavities, and talking to you, often patronizingly, about how much to brush and floss each day. I feel like no matter how hard I work on my teeth, it's never enough. However, I know that when I have dentures, I will wish I did things differently in my youth. 
22. Missing the chance to ask your grandparents questions before they die.
I've been thinking about this a lot, and want to stop making excuses for why I don't have the time to visit my grandparents more often. I'm very lucky that three out of four of my grandparents are still alive-- at 89, 87 and 80 years old. I want to do video interviews this year with them, take notes, ask questions and record their stories down for history while they are still here. 
23. Working too much.
Last year was awesome, but took a huge toll on me. I don't think I recovered from my exhaustion until December, as I was running full throttle with four jobs {albeit to pay for an amazing, life-changing trip to Europe} and I know for certain that I never want to do that again. :) I want to be present for my family, present for the Lord, present for rest and present for peace. 
24. Not learning how to cook one awesome meal.
I've come a long way since we've first been married, but I've yet to find that one really awesome meal. I'm the girl who's jealous at the potlucks because I have no clue how to cook a rockin' crock pot meal like my colleagues. Getting better at cooking is definitely one of my next big 2014 goals. 
25. Not stopping enough to appreciate the moment.
I can't tell you how much I agree with this. I tried to be so present in Europe because I knew this phenomenal trip was going to be over as quickly as it began. I remember driving down the Amalfi Coast, seeing sights more beautiful that I've ever seen before, and crying because I wanted to be in that state forever and never wanted to leave. The powerful thing though is that kind of beauty is all around me, but it takes traveling for me to appreciate it. I so want to sloooooowww dooooowwwnnn so I do not regret that time when I'm older. 
26. Failing to finish what you start.
Unfinished projects are a huge pet peeve of mine. I also know a lot of people who say wistfully, "I wish I would have finished my Bachelor's," or "I wish I had the time to finish my bathroom." Finishing projects is so satisfying and I want to keep that up for as long as I can. 
27. Never mastering one awesome party trick.
Oh my gosh. I have none. Time to get started...
28. Letting yourself be defined by cultural expectations.
I never, ever, ever want to be an ugly American. Enough said. 
29. Refusing to let friendships run their course.
This was really hard for me to fathom as I was growing up, but I remember one pivotal point in my life when someone I once knew said, "People will come in and out of your life for the rest of your life, but hold onto the ones that stick." 
30. Not playing with your kids enough.
I absolutely want to do this 100%. 
31. Never taking a big risk (especially in love).
My husband told me on our third date that he wanted to invest in me for as long as he could. He told me a month after that that he wanted to marry me, and proposed to me exactly two months after that. Three months later and seven months from start to finish, we were married. Never in my life have I moved quicker in a relationship than that, but the adventures we have been on and the things we have been through have been richer because of that risk we took. 
32. Not taking the time to develop contacts and network.
This is definitely something, especially as a business owner, that I want to continue improving in my life. Not even just to grow my business, but to make friends and spread my circle wider. 
33. Worrying too much.
I need to improve this ASAP. It takes up a large part of my thoughts and I am continually praying for peace and rest in it. 
34. Getting caught up in needless drama.
SO THANKFUL those days are behind me. Yuck.
35. Not spending enough time with loved ones.
I will never look back on my life saying, "I wish I had spent more time by myself and less with my family." As I know all too well, things can change in the blink of an eye. Friendships come and go, but family is forever. 
36. Never performing in front of others.
It's a crazy, crazy feeling being on a stage in front of hundreds of other people while they receive what you have to show them, but it's also an immensely energizing and powerful feeling that I hope everyone has at least once in their lives. 
37. Not being grateful sooner.
I used to spend a lot of my time thinking about what I wanted and what I didn't have, and I lost myself along the way. I want to be intentional now and in the future about what I have, who is in my life, and how God has blessed every facet of it in every way. 

What about you? Which of these life circumstances resonate with your life most?


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 
Blogging tips