Resolution Progress | February 2014



It's resolution check-in time.

I am owning these resolutions big time.

(Okay, maybe two of the three...) 

But still. Owning them. 

As a recap, here were my 2014 New Year's Resolutions:

1) Plan out my meals on Saturdays, shop on Sundays and be prepared with cooked meals Monday - Friday. Of said meals, ALL ingredients need to be free of artificial ingredients. No compromises, for reals. My grocery bill may be higher, but my insides will be happier. 

2) Go to the gym after school three days a week. Get 5 minutes of cardio in every day (walk, jumping jacks, jog around the block). I really, really, really need to get moving. 

3) Not use a single credit card for 2014. Not once. Not for perks, not a store card, not for discounts, nothing. Zip. Nada. No bueno. Credit cards are very sneaky little tools that make you think you're getting a lot, but instead are life suckers when they send their bills and after 10 years of owning them, I'd rather just pay cash for everything now, thankyouverymuch. 



Resolution #1 progress: Winning. 

I can't even begin to tell you how much I love meal planning and grocery shopping now. Truly, my eating habits have been revitalized and we literally never go out to eat. Never.

We didn't even go out to eat on Valentine's Day which is basically our go-to date day each year. 

So often, even on Friday nights, I feel like, "I can actually make some pretty great stuff. Why would I want to pay $50 to eat out when I can do it myself?" Also, I adore shopping at New Seasons. It's basically like the spa. 

Something I've realized has really impacted our eating-at-home habits is the fact that I pretentiously toot my own horn at calling myself a foodie. Whether I actually am or not is another story, but one thing I know for sure is that I love food and I love natural, organic, flavorful food even more. I also love feeling like I'm having a fancy meal in the comfort of my very own home. If I am not invested in what I'm cooking, I'm going to find every excuse in the book to get take-out or go out to eat instead of eating that boring, blah meal I'm trying to cut corners with. So, I pretend like I am having a fancy sit-down meal that I would normally pay $$$ for and instead pay -$ for. 

There are a couple of venues that thrill me with my weekly meal planning: Pinterest and Pinch of Yum. I loooooove digging into my Pinboard and picking what I'm going to cook for the week. Then, I only write down the ingredients for those recipes, what Emma/Timothy/I need for breakfasts and lunches and that's it. A bad habit I used to get in was, "Well it's on sale so I totally should get it!" But then it would go bad, I'd forget about it or I'd never use it. I am super strict with sticking to my grocery list when I'm shopping unless there is an extremely good reason to veer from it. 

I was a little bit shocked with the fact that my grocery bill became wayyy higher overnight than in the past, but I also think this is because we were eating out far more frequently than we thought we were which was taking away from my grocery budget bill. I would say that, on average, Timothy, Emma and I spend $10 per person, per day on our meals. Total. Plus, they are all natural, organic, un-processed and balanced. $3.33 per meal for organic, whole and natural ain't bad. 

I am loving resolution #1 beyond measure. Why didn't I do this sooner. 



Resolution #2: Fail. 

So... I cancelled my gym membership. That's right, I'm that girl. 

(Sorry Colleen.)

But, maybe the fact that I am Sherwood Middle School's newest assistant track coach makes up for the fact that I can no longer go to the gym and instead I'm going to be working out 4 times a week after school with our kids. Maybe that buys me some points in the get-fit direction... but... I failed at the gym. I even fail at walking the dog because I basically hate the cold and lately the cold has been getting on my nerves so I don't participate with it. 

I walk around my classroom all day long and my pedometer logs like 10,000 steps a day. Doesn't that count for something?!? 



Resolution #3: Owning this bad boy.

I've used a credit card like twice since December 31st. Once when I changed purses and forgot my debit card and then paid it off right away, and once when I accidentally selected the wrong card on Amazon. And then paid it off. 

Not spending any $$$ on a credit card is amazing!!!!! So freeing. Also, I secretly hate Gap and Pottery Barn's stupidly tempting me with 40% off emails that make me question this whole resolution thing altogether because I want what they're offering. But my self-control kicks in and I realize that I have cool stuff and love my home and my wardrobe doesn't need the newest spring chambray top. {Or at least that's what I tell myself...}

I hate credit cards and I don't care how many stupid perks you offer me Visa/Mastercard/American Express because I am not cool enough to take advantage of your rewards. Stop bribing me Visa with your free airfare and your cash back bonuses and your gift certificates!!! Maybe someday I will be mature enough to manipulate all the offers and laugh all the way to the bank, but right now I am just a simplistically-minded average girl who hates credit cards and will get rid of them completely by the end of 2014. 

{And that means you, Gap and Pottery Barn!!!} 


So friends. New Years Resolutions can work and basically I am loving these intentional changes in 2014. 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 
Blogging tips