Food.

I deleted a few titles before settling on the simplicity of this post. Food. 

I thought about the following:

"What I really wanted to call this post was 'Help! My head is spinning because of everything I'm doing wrong,'"

or,

"Food is not my enemy."

or,

"How to survive feeling like a failure when it comes to food."

None of them seemed to fit the entire message of this article, so I'll stick with "Food" for now. 


In the great Pinterest world of "Everything you're not doing well enough and someone is doing a lot better," I have discovered that in fact, I am eating all wrong. 

No matter what I do, I'm doing it wrong. 

Whole 30 says I'm not supposed to eat beans, alcohol, grains, potatoes or sugar.

Gluten-free says I'm not supposed to eat any wheat products. 

Vegan says I'm not supposed to eat any dairy, eggs or meat. 

Paleo says I'm supposed to eat meat and eggs. 

Dr. Oz says I'm supposed to eat all of the above and more... 

Then I see the "31 Healthiest Foods I Should be Eating Now"... and they're all on the do-not-eat lists above. 


Vegan tells me I should be drinking soy, and now supposedly there are health problems linked to soy


I seriously. can't. keep. up. 

Colon cleanses? Detox diets? Probiotics? Where do I even start?!


So, maybe you're like me. Maybe you're overwhelmed with which "eat this instead of flour" aisle to start at when shopping at Whole Foods and secretly wish that Pop-Tarts were healthy because life would be so much simpler if they were. (I mean seriously, have you seen the choices for flour substitutes that Bob's Red Mill offers? I mean, really...)

If in fact you are like me and wrestle with feeling a mix of guilt over your DiGiornio pizza you snuck in your fridge and the desire to truly make a positive choice in the nutrition of your family, I'm here to offer you a little bit of solace. 



I've decided that it's all okay. 


Did you hear that? I mean obviously I'm not a doctor, but when I look at my healthy and vibrant 90 year old grandparents who eat from their garden but also eat bologna and Franz white bread and mayonnaise, they must be doing something right. 


Therefore, I have decided the following for myself and my family:

1) Shop for organic produce whenever possible. I do believe in the "dirty dozen."

2) Shop farmer's markets whenever possible as well. We are so fortunate to have the abundance of produce that we do 6 months out of the year here in the Northwest, and in the off-season, I shop where I trust they're critically eyeing their sources at places like New Seasons and Whole Foods. That is important to me, 

3) Rotating what meat & fish I eat all week. I do buy organic free-range and grass fed beef, organic and free range eggs and chickens, and wild-caught salmon and shrimp. (Cause' have you see the cow pens in California?!)

4) If I don't know what it is, I don't eat it. I am a huge label-reader when it comes to processed foods and when there are some fake ingredients or the list is 10+ lines long, I skip it. It's not worth it. 

5) I skip the additives and preservatives whenever possible. 

6) I eat black beans, pork, chicken, cheese, milk, whole-grain bagels, flax crackers, popcorn, chips and salsa, eggs, fruits + veggies, pasta, etc. I just really refuse to be the food police to myself. 

7) I scour labels to be non-GMO. 

8) I tend to shop more at New Seasons or Whole Paycheck simply because I know they offer what I'm looking for. Organic and whole-ingredient products can be found all over the place, but in my busy life I just don't have the time to grocery-store-hop for the best prices. If I lived closer to a Fred Meyer, I probably would go there over the others. :)


Really, I'm all about two things: Natural and Whole. I don't want to be ingesting anything fake, and I would love for what I eat to be wholly occurring from nature. Because let's be real: If God designed it for our bodies, I know He knew what He was doing. 



So, go on with your bad self and indulge in that Breyer's all-natural vanilla ice cream and pulled-pork sandwich for dinner tonight and feel no shame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

 
Blogging tips